What are Common Core State Standards?
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are an initiative by states to establish shared, consistent, and clear expectations of what students are expected to learn. The standards are meant to help teachers and parents know what they need to do to help students.
The CCSS are designed to be rigorous and pertinent to the real world. They reflect the knowledge and skills that young people will eventually need for success in college and in the workforce.What is the goal of the CCSS?
The goal of the CCSS is to facilitate the following student competencies. Students should:
- Demonstrate independence.
- Build strong content knowledge.
- Respond to the varying demands of audience, task, purpose, and discipline.
- Comprehend as well as critique.
- Value evidence.
- Use technology and digital media strategically and capably.
- Come to understand other perspectives and cultures.
If your state has joined the Common Core State Standards Initiative, you must incorporate these standards into lesson plans. Your students may need targeted practice in order to meet grade-level standards and expectations, and thereby be promoted to the next grade.
To see if your state has joined the initiative, visit CoreStandards.org.
What is Newmark Learning's Common Core Practice Series?
Newmark Learning’s #1 best-selling series covers Common Core State Standards (CCSS) at each grade level, following a gradual release of responsibility model so that students can progress to on-grade-level competency in mathematics, comprehension, writing, and language.
Scaffold students up to meet and exceed grade-specific standards in mathematics.
- Mini-lessons model every skill to enhance students’ understanding of key math concepts.
- Word problems and critical-thinking questions help students master math reasoning.
- 3 levels of practice for each unit enable you to easily differentiate instruction for diverse students. Learn More
- Mini-lessons focus on specific genres and include graphic organizers.
- Text-dependent and critical-thinking questions follow each set of passages.
- 3 levels of each passage easily differentiate instruction for diverse students. Learn More
- Mini-lessons organized by standard help students master each writing type.
- Practice texts with prompts and checklists focus students on planning and self-evaluation.
- Rubrics and assessments help you guide and differentiate instruction for diverse students. Learn More
- Mini-lessons for each standard model language, vocabulary, and grammar.
- Guided and independent practice pages provide support and reinforce learned skills.
- Practice tests integrate multiple skills in a formal assessment format. Learn More